Thursday, August 26, 2010

Planting Love

Back in May when we bought our first home, I lovingly named our new project "Beauty for Ashes." It became that for me for a number of reasons, but the obvious is that the house had been abandoned, unloved, and forgotten.

My husband has wanted to own a home for years. For some reason, it was something that was hard for me to believe could happen (especially in California!) We had looked throughout the years but I always had a hard time seeing "potential" in what we could afford. I had unrealistic expectations for our first home and I didn't know how to get past them. Every time we looked, I never had anything good to say...until this house.
When I saw this house, I saw what it could be! I saw what it was going to be! I saw a home, I saw love, I saw a dream that could actually come true. It was oddly, my husband this time who took convincing. Like I said--it was pretty disgusting inside and out (we didn't even get decent photos of how horrible it was before landscaping demo cleaned the dirt up!)

4 months later, the house has a new face and above all, it has a new heart!
It will continue to be loved whole, it will continue to be seen for it's potential, and it has become beauty from ashes.

{The fence was a big project!
In the first photo you can see it was oddly pushed back from the curb and cut in around an access box. We pushed the fence out and squared it off so our munchkin could have more space to play!}


It is not lost on me how blessed we have been. It may have been overwhelming in unexpected ways, but it has been an incredible blessing!
We are so thankful!

6 comments:

  1. looks so great, allegra! home ownership is so much fun! if your house is where i think it is, you live just down the street from me!

    xo, k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks amazing....simply amazing.
    I want to come visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, yay, yay!! You've been busy!

    Congrats to you!

    It's so fun making a place 'your own'.

    I can't help but think about the Lord during fix-up and renovations phases, the same pleasure we get from improving the state of our spaces inside and out is just a shadow of the delight He must take in cleaning up our hearts when we allow Him in to do the work.

    Be blessed!
    -h

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Allegra I've just caught up on your new home pictures and I love IT!!! It already showes how loved it is! Beautiful touches every where!!! A true blessing, wishing you many years of pure bliss in your home,
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT! I can't wait to come visit!!! And, I'm going to need your help decorating when we buy a home in a million years. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I got to see the outside when I was in town. :o)

    Looks good!

    ReplyDelete